- Stand up straight. If you must sit, sit as tall as you can.
- Breathe deep into your belly. Shoulders should not come up around your ears when you inhale.
- Use your abdominal muscles, including the diaphragm, to support your breath as you sing.
- Relax your chest, shoulders and throat.
- To sing high, think low. Imagine singing down into the high note, not reaching up for it.
- Bend your knees.
- Tighten your glutes.
- Look straight ahead. Don't tip your head back to "look up" into a high note.
- Drop your chin (not your head, just your chin). Open your mouth wide, top to bottom.
Need more coaching? Check out Rae Henry's free video series.
Related posts:Highlights from the SSCC Community Choir Holiday Concert
Harmonizing With The Beaconettes